The Culzean Camp Site is located 12 miles south west of Ayr. It is situated within the Culzean Castle & Country Park, which is owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
The site can be located at grid reference NS 244 100.
The site is open from May to September, has a woodland setting with three camping areas of varying size and ample facilities.
On Site Facilities
- The site is connected to the mains water supply. It has modern toilet facilities and includes ladies and gents showers.
- There is a separate disabled toilet.
- A utilities hut provides dish washing facilities and a fridge / freezer.
- All hot water is controlled by the use of coin operated slot meters.
- There is a pay phone on site and a small shop selling a small range of badges and souvenirs which will open at agreed times.
Cooking by open fire is permitted, using alter fires in designated areas; these are available on request. Firewood is normally available (there may be a charge for fire wood).
There is a campfire circle.
Plan Of Site
How to reach Culzean
- From the North on the A77, in Maybole turn right onto the B7023 (signposted Culzean, Maidens) then at the top of the hill turn left (still on the B7023). At a sign for Culzean Country Park turn right into the Park. The campsite is 100 m on the left (before the Paybox).
- From the South on the A77 – At Turnberry, turn left onto the A719 (signposted Maidens and Culzean). Pass through Maidens and at sign for Culzean Country Park, turn left into the Park. The campsite is 100 m on the left (before the Paybox).
- The nearest station is at Maybole which is 3 miles from the site. Maybole is on the Glasgow-Ayr-Stranraer Line.
- There is a regular bus service between Ayr and Girvan (via Maidens – Stagecoach Service 60) which passes the entrance to Culzean Country Park on the A719.
- In Maybole there is a Co-op Supermarket, local butchers, bakers and takeaways.
- There is a choice of larger supermarkets in Ayr & Girvan as well as a full range of shops typical of county and holiday towns.
Out and About
Culzean Country Park:
- The Park offers numerous walks of varying length via woodland, cliff and shore line. Guided walks can be arranged with the Park’s Ranger Service. The facilities of Culzean Country Park are freely available to Groups using the camp site, tours of the castle need to be arranged beforehand.
- There is good hillwalking to be found in the Galloway Hills, which are within an hour’s drive. Nearer at hand, just north of the site are the Carrick Hills (maximum height under 300m).
- Sea angling can be booked in Ayr or Girvan and trout fishing as a man-made lochan (sure to land a catch) can be booked at Springwater Fisheries, Dalrymple (Telephone 01292 560343).
Public Swimming Pools:
- Public pools can be found at Maybole, Girvan and Ayr.
Heads of Ayr Open Farm Park:
- This is located on the A719, just south of Ayr, at the Heads of Ayr.
- This world famous site is located on the A719 between Culzean and Ayr. Have you ever experienced a car rolling up hill? This is within walking distance of the campsite via Croy Bay Beach.
- The Robert Burns Birthplace Museum is located at Alloway; this includes Burns Cottage, The Auld Kirk, Burns Monument and the famous Brig O’Doon.
- Souter Johnnie’s Cottage can be found at Kirkoswald.
Ayrshire Coastal Path:
- The Ayrshire Coastal Path runs for 100 miles from Glenapp to Skelmorlie along one of the finest coastlines in the British Isles.
General Tourist Information:
Click here to open the printable
The Campsite Development Project is being part-financed by the Scottish Government and the European Community Ayrshire LEADER 2007 – 2013 Programme.
Online Booking Form
The current charges for the use of site and facilities are as follows: –
- S.W. Scotland Region Scouts: – £ 2.75 per camper/night
- Other Scouts and Guides: – £ 3.30 per camper/night
- Other campers: – £ 3.50 per camper/night
NOTE: – Scout Association Leaders camp for free when accompanying a group. (Applies to members of The Scout Association only)
Hot water: – Showers and Dish washing – 20p coin meters
Small marquees, tables and seats are available for hire, please contact the booking secretary for further details.
Requests for dates, verbal or written must be confirmed within 14 days, using the booking form attached, after which time they may not be honoured.
Groups requiring sole use of the site should contact the Booking Secretary for details of charges.
Calculation of Bills
Charges are for all users of the Camp Site, per day, or part thereof.
For weekend camps, the ‘day’ is taken from 5.00 pm -> 5.00 pm.
For longer camps, it is from 12.00 noon -> 12.00 noon.
A non-returnable deposit of £10.00 (or € 20.00) is required with all bookings. This will be set against camp fees when generating the invoice.
Confirmation of booking will be acknowledged via email to the address, if any, provided on the booking form. A receipt for the deposit and useful camp site information will be posted to the camp leader.
Cheques payable to: – ‘Culzean Scout Campsite’.
If you wish to make payment by bank transfer, please contact the booking secretary for the necessary details.
The Executive reserves the right to alter the above charges without notice